Tag Archives: roasted red pepper
Leek & Roasted Red Pepper Soup
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1 large Onion, chopped
1 cup Celery, chopped
3 Leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced (I used the jarred kind)
2 jars, 15 oz. each Roasted Red Peppers, drained (I like the Merretta brand)
1 – 49 oz. can Chicken broth
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons Chicken base (I like the Tone’s brand in the jar)
¼ tsp. or to taste Crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Cavender’s Greek seasoning
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
To taste Salt & pepper (Be sure and taste before you salt)
(if it’s too salty, add a pinch or two of sugar)
2 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
¼ – ½ cup Heavy Cream
- In a large, heavy bottomed stock pot, sauté onions, celery and leeks in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add chicken broth and roasted red peppers.
- Blend with a stick blender or in a regular blender until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, except for the butter and heavy cream.
- Simmer for at least an hour. (The longer it simmers the better the favors develop.) Soup can be refrigerated or frozen, after cooling, at this point.
- To serve, bring soup to just shy of boiling, add butter and cream.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese, chives, sour cream, or garlic croutons. OR all of the above.
Old Magnolia House Bed & Breakfast